If you have been diagnosed with glaucoma, don’t despair. If you intend to maintain an orderly and healthy routine, you will be able to keep the progression of your disease under control and lead a normal lifestyle but if it becomes severe you should meet a specialist like Glaucoma specialist Chicago for example. From You count a lot, we suggest you follow these simple tips, which will surely help you:
- Keep your eyes clean and free of any substance that can irritate them. For example, you have to pay special attention to cosmetics to put makeup on your eyes.
- Avoid scratching or rubbing your eyes, even if they feel itchy or stinging. This will make symptoms worse.
- Always protect your eyes. If you swim, always wear goggles to prevent water from coming into contact with your eyes. Also, in DIY or gardening work, take special care and wear suitable protective glasses.
- Eat a healthy diet and an active lifestyle. Like most people, even if they do not suffer from any ailment, a healthy and active lifestyle helps improve general well-being and make any illness more bearable. This is also true if you have glaucoma. So, try to take care of yourself and lead a life without stress.
- Space your fluid intake and reduce salt in meals. In this way, you will avoid fluid retention that can cause increased intraocular pressure.
- Be organized; it will be easier for you to keep track of your medical visits and avoid forgetting the treatment that the doctor has prescribed. It will surely help you have the name of each medication and the dose you should take written down and at hand not to get confused.
- Schedule and prepare your visits to the doctor in advance. It is essential that when you go for a consultation, you arrive with a clear idea of what are the issues that concern you and the doubts that have arisen. If it helps you, you can also write them down to keep them organized and at hand.
- Inform your doctor of the medications you are taking and notify him whenever you notice any different effects during their use. Also, if you notice that any of your usual medications no longer have the effects they previously had, notify him as well; it may need to be changed.
You will see that if you gradually incorporate these simple routines into your day-to-day life, your life with glaucoma will be much more bearable, and, together with your medical team, you will be able to take adequate control of the disease to prevent it from getting worse. Courage and start them.